23 Ways to Improve Students Reading Comprehension Skills
Are you looking for strategies to improve students reading comprehension skills? If so, keep reading.
1. Get the learner to look for the keywords and main ideas when reading.
2. After reading a selection, have the learner have to verbally summarize what they have read.
3. Get the learner to read high interest signs, advertisements, notices, etc., from newspapers, magazines, movie promotions, etc., placing emphasis on comprehension skills.
4. Teach the learner to find the main points in content to enable their comprehension.
5. Refrain from placing the learner in awkward reading skills (e.g., reading aloud in a group, reading with time limits, etc.).
6. Get the learner to read independently each day to practice reading skills.
7. Spotlight essential information the learner should pay close attention to when reading.
8. Minimize the amount of information on a page if it is visually distracting for the learner.
11. Make sure the student learns the meanings of all commonly used prefixes and suffixes.
12. Make sure the learner learns dictionary skills to find the meaning of words.
13. Cut out images from magazines and newspapers and have the learner match captions to them. This learning experience could be varied by having one learner write the caption while another learner determines if it is appropriate.
16. Minimize the amount of content the learner reads at one time (e.g., lessen reading content to individual sentences or one paragraph, etc.). As the learner shows success, slowly increase the amount of content to be read at one time.
17. Get the learner to supply missing words in sentences given by classmates and/or the teacher to enable comprehension skills.
18. Get the learner to list new or complicated words in categories such as people, food, animals, things that are hot, etc.
19. Teach the learner meanings of abbreviations to assist in comprehending content read.
20. Include frequent written tasks on topics that are of interest to the learner to reinforce the correlation between writing and reading capacity and ability.
22. Consider using Alexa to teach reading skills.
23. Try using one of our many apps designed to teach literacy skills and help students with reading issues: