15 Techniques to Help Kids with a Sporadic Memory
Are you looking for techniques to help students with a sporadic memory? If so, keep reading.
1. Get the learner to follow a regular routine (schedule) of daily activities to create consistency in their behavior pattern.
2. Get the learner to repeat to themselves information just heard to help them remember the essential facts.
3. Do not require the learner to learn more information than they are capable of remembering at any time.
4. Provide the learner a choice of answers (e.g., more than one possible answer, multiple-choice items on a worksheet, etc.) to enable their capacity and ability to recognize the correct answer.
5. Give reminders throughout the academic environment to help the learner be more successful in remembering information (e.g., rules, lists, schedules, etc.).
6. Assist the learner’s use of memory aids to recall words (e.g., a name might be linked to another word; for example, “Mr. Green is a very colorful person.”).
7. Give the learner sufficient chances for repetition of information through various experiences to enable their memory.
8. Daily, examine those skills, ideas, tasks, etc., that have been previously introduced to help the learner remember information previously presented.
9. Get the learner to take notes when instructions are being given following the “What, How, Learning materials, and On occasions where” format.
11. Find the learner’s most efficient learning mode. Utilize it continuously to enable the learner’s comprehension (e.g., if the learner fails to understand information or instructions orally, present them in written form; if the learner has difficulty comprehending written information or instructions, present them orally; etc.).
12. Give the learner chances to apply new skills or information to other situations (e.g., when they learn to count by fives, have them practice adding nickels; vocabulary words learned should be pointed out in reading selections; etc.).
13. Show instructions following the outline of (1) What, (2) How, (3) Learning materials, and (4) On occasions where.
14. Ask the learner a question when they are most likely to be able to respond successfully.
15. Consider using an education app to help the student enhance their memory. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.