Tips for Writing Strong Letters of Recommendation
When writing letters of recommendation, it is important to be thoughtful and descriptive. Here are a few tips to help you produce letters of recommendation that are both effective and supportive:
- Take the time to draft your letters of recommendation carefully. Make sure that each paragraph flows smoothly and that your recommendations are unified in their endorsement.
- Be specific. In your letter, be sure to focus on the individual’s strengths and why you believe they would be a good fit for the position.
- Be sure to highlight the qualities and achievements of the person you are recommending. This will help your letters of recommendation stand out and be more persuasive.
- In addition to highlighting the qualities of the person you are recommending, be sure to mention any connections or relationships you have with them. This will provide additional context for your endorsement.
- Take the time to thank the person you are recommending for their time and support. This will show your appreciation and help reinforce their endorsement.
- Send your letters of recommendation as soon as possible. The sooner they are received, the more likely they are to be effective.
- Let the recommender know if there is anything they should keep in mind while writing the letter. For example, if the recommender knows the candidate well, they might mention something specific about the individual that would make a good letter of recommendation.