How to Implement the PAVE (Predict, Associate, Verify, Assess) Teaching Strategy in Your Classroom
This procedure encourages learners to check the dictionary definition against the context in which a word appears. It also helps learners recall word meanings by associating and connecting the word with an image. PAVEis the acronym of the four parts of the procedure: Predict, Associate, Verify, and Assess.
- Introduce word meanings
- Review word meanings
- Assign each learner a reading passage along with vocabulary words or phrases.
- As learners encounter each vocabulary word in their reading, have them complete a PAVEgraphic organizer (Click here to access all of our graphic organizer forms).
- The learner:
- writes the sentence in which the word is featured
- writes the word again in isolation
- writes a predicted definition based on the context sentence (Predict)
- writes a sentence utilizing the term to show an initial comprehension of the word’s meaning
- looks up the word in the dictionary and writes its definition (Verify)
- compares the dictionary’s definition with the sentence that they wrote and, if necessary, writes a new sentence (Assess)
- draws a visual representation of the word to help them recall its meaning (Associate)