Why Choose Accounting as a Career?
Accounting has become a popular field to pursue because of its many benefits. Here are five reasons why you should consider becoming an accountant:
- The Skills: Accounting is a field filled with skills and abilities. You will learn how to use complex financial formulas and techniques, giving you a strong foundation for any career you choose.
- The Flexibility: One of the great benefits of accounting is its flexibility. You can work in a traditional accounting firm or a self-employed position. This flexibility allows you to work in various settings and grow your career based on your skills and abilities.
- The Pay: Accounting is a highly-paid field. The median annual salary for accountants is $86,160; the top 10 percent of earners receive salaries above $130,000. This payment potential allows you to live a comfortable lifestyle while pursuing a career in accounting.
- The Demand: The demand for accountants is high. There are currently over 190,000 jobs open in the U.S. market for accountants, and the number of jobs is expected to grow by over 10 percent through 2020. This high demand means that you have a good chance of finding a position that is a good fit for your skills and interests.
- The Career Outlook: The career outlook for accountants is positive. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that the demand for accountants will grow by over 18 percent through 2020. This means that there will be many opportunities for you to pursue a career in accounting.