The Biggest Lessons of Your First Year Teaching
In their first year of teaching, new teachers learn a lot about themselves and their students. They also learn about the basics of teaching, including how to create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning. Additionally, new teachers learn about the specific content they will be teaching and how to best approach the material. Here are a few common things all new teachers learn:
- Teachers learn about themselves and their own teaching style.
- Teachers learn about the curriculum and the school system.
- Teachers learn about the students in their classroom and the needs of their students.
- Teachers learn about the resources and technologies that are available to them and how to use those resources.
- Teachers learn about their own professional growth and how to continue growing as a teacher.
- Teachers learn about the importance of collaboration and teamwork in the classroom.
- Teachers learn about the importance of communication with their colleagues.
- Teachers learn about the importance of taking care of themselves and their own health.
- Teachers learn how to plan, organize, and lead a classroom; how to develop lessons and units; and how to identify and address student needs.