Teaching Learners to Continually Ask Questions While Reading
Reading and writing are not done exclusively to themselves. Good readers continually ask questions while reading. This approach is helpful to boost reading comprehension but also writing expression. This approach “invites readers to stay focused, engaged, and thinking” as they read. Instruct readers to ask themselves the following 5 questions during and after reading.
The Five Questions are:
1. Visualization: what mental pictures do I see?
2. Connections: what does this remind me of?
3. Inference: What do I know now, even though I wasn’t told the information in the text?
4. Prediction: What might happen next?
5. Summarization/conclusion: What was this mostly about?