How to Use Role Modeling in Your Classroom
Role modeling involves demonstrating the requisite behaviors or ideal way of acting within a learning environment. Role modeling is intended to positively influence learners into copying the instructor’s positive learning behaviors.
- Learners are socialized into behaving and learning in socially appropriate ways.
- An instructor who sets high personal expectations for their learning will have those high expectations flow on toward the learners.
- An instructor needs to be aware that all their behaviors rub off on learners.
- Male instructors may role model positive masculinity, such as politeness and respect for all people regardless of gender.
- An instructor can be a role model by demonstrating engagement within the community, insisting on welcoming guests when they come to the classroom, or having respect for reading, learning, and apologizing.