How to Renew or Reinstate a Teachers License in Michigan
Renewal of Teaching Certification
When you obtain your Provisional Teaching License in Michigan, it is good for 6 years. In this time, you are expected to finish the following conditions to become qualified for your Professional Education License:
- Finalize the New Teacher Induction/Teacher Mentoring program, which is a cooperative between your school district and the Michigan Department of Education
- Finalize 18 credit hours at a Michigan institution teacher preparation program beyond the highest degree you have.
- If you finish these credits at a school outside of Michigan, it has to be at the master’s level at a regionally accredited institution that offers teacher preparation programs.
- Have at least 3 years of teaching experience under your Provisional Teaching License
- Meet the state’s reading conditions
- If you are licensed in elementary education: 6 credit hours of teaching reading or reading methods
- If you are licensed in secondary education: 3 credit hours of teaching reading or reading methods
- Finalize 3 credit hours of reading diagnostics and remediation, including a field experience
- If you complete this course out-of-state, you have to have a Reading Diagnostics Course Certification form signed by that institution
Apply for your Professional Education License via the Michigan Online Education Certification System (MOECS). Once you obtain the Professional Education License, it is good for 5 years. To renew this license, you have to fulfill the following qualifications:
- Finalize 6 credit hours at a sanctioned Michigan institution listed in the Directory of Michigan Institutions of Higher Education; or
- Finalize 18 State Board Continuing Education Credits; or
- Finalize a combination of 1 and 2
(Credits have to have been finished within the 5 years preceding renewal)
You can apply for your Professional Education License renewal anytime within the school year that your license lapses using the Michigan Online Education Certification System (MOECS).
Teaching Certification Reinstatement
If your Michigan Provisional Teaching License has lapsed, but you possess a good teaching license from another state, and you have been a teacher related to grade/subject level listed on your license for at least one of the past 5 years, you are eligible for a 3-year renewal of licensure.
Suppose you have a lapsed Professional Education License, and you have not been employed for at least 3 years when your license was active. In that case, you are still eligible to renew it if you meet the qualifications listed above.