2020 Best Small-Town Colleges and Universities in America
When it comes choosing a college, the size of the community surrounding the institution is a significant factor. Some students like the hustle and bustle of a metropolis, some like the happy medium of a suburban area, while others may enjoy the isolation of a small town. If you like the seclusion of a small city, you will be happy to know that America doesn’t have a shortage of amazing small town colleges and universities. In this piece, we will rank and discuss the best of them.
- Middlebury College – Situated in the small town of Middlebury, this college is located between the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains in the picturesque Champlain Valley. This liberal arts college in the nation offers studies in the environment, sciences, literature and international topics. The campus is home to the Bread Loaf Writer’s’ Conference, and attendance at Bread Loaf is a highly sought-after honor. Middlebury is in the top ten of best undergraduate teaching schools, and it is also a best-value choice.
- Virginia Military Institute – Located in rural Lewisburg, Virginia, this school is #65 among national liberal arts colleges. The cadets at this school live in military-style barracks, but their opportunities for learning are not as sparse as their living quarters; they can choose from 80 programs of study.
- Harding University – Another private university in Arkansas, Harding is known for its acceptance of National Merit Scholars. Located in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains, 50 miles north of Little Rock, the school devotes itself to preparing students for global success, and more than two-thirds of the student population has studied overseas at one of the school’s international campuses located in Africa, Australia, and Europe.
- Depauw University – Offers a close-knit community within the small, rural town of Greencastle, Indiana. Although best known for its communication and social sciences programs, Depauw also has many offerings for technology-minded students.
- University of Mississippi – Located in the small town of Oxford, The University of Mississippi attracts top faculty members because of its ability to engage employees in the mission and vision of the school. Faculty members report experiencing high levels of job satisfaction, excellent working relationships with department chairs, a strong focus on diversity, and attention to fostering career trajectories.
- Miami University – Oxford –Miami University is located the town of Oxford, Ohio, about 35 miles from Cincinnati. Downtown Oxford is comprised mostly of the university, and 50% of the student population lives here while going to school. The school holds onto to quaint traditions involving alumni who reach out to current students, and the teaching here is recognized as fifth-best in the nation.
Click here to learn more about the ranking methodology that we used to compile this list.
Congratulations! If you represent a college or university that is included in this list, please collect your seal below.