16 Ways to Teach Students to Exhibit Appropriate Behaviors Related to Bodily Functions
Are you looking for ways to teach students to exhibit appropriate behaviors related to bodily functions? If so, keep reading.
1. Do not leave the learner unsupervised.
2. Take the learner away from the learning experience until they show appropriate behavior.
3. Take the learner away from the peer or situation that stimulates them to take part in unacceptable behavior related to bodily functions.
4. Notify other school staff members to make them aware of the problem.
5. Make sure the learner knows how to use restroom facilities appropriately.
6. Give the learner accurate information regarding bodily functions to answer questions and clear up misunderstandings.
7. Teach the learner alternative ways to deal with their anger (e.g., talk with the teacher, move away from the situation, talk to other school staff members, etc.).
8. Convey concerns and communicate fears to the administration and seek a referral to an agency for investigation of possible abuse and neglect.
9. Give the learner a full schedule of daily activities to increase active involvement in their surroundings.
10. Give the learner a quiet space to work to lessen overstimulation. This is to be used to lessen stimulation, not as a form of punishment.
11. Select a peer to model appropriate social behavior for the learner.
12. Provide visibility to and from the learner. The teacher should be able to see the learner; the learner should be able to see the teacher. Make eye contact possible at all times.
13. Consider using a classroom management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
14. Consider using an adaptive behavior management app. Click here to view a list of apps that we recommend.
15. Consider using Alexa to help the student learn to behave appropriately. Click here to read an article that we wrote on the subject.
16. Click here to learn about six bonus strategies for challenging problem behaviors and mastering classroom management.