15 Ways to Teach Kids Tell Time
Are you looking for ways to teach kids to tell time? If so, keep reading.
1. Get the learner to set the hands on a clock as the teacher/tutor indicates times of the day.
2. Provide the learner with word problems involving telling time on their capacity and ability level (e.g., “At 10 minutes after 9 o’clock, you will begin walking to school. It takes 10 minutes to walk to school. What time will it be when you arrive?”).
3. Make sure the learner has a clock face with hands to manipulate when learning to tell time.
4. Using a large clock face, set the hands, and have the learner indicate the time. Begin with the hours, the half hours, the quarter hours, etc.
5. Make sure the learner can read a digital clock or watch.
6. Get watches in the classroom that the learner can “borrow” to wear during the school day while they are learning to tell time.
7. Make sure the learner knows why they are learning to tell time. Give the learner concrete examples and chances to apply those ideas in real-life situations.
8. Make sure the learner is not required to learn more information than they are capable of learning at any time.
9. Get the learner to learn to recognize one specific “essential” time and let the teacher know when the clock has reached that specific time.
10. Get the learner to work with a peer each day practicing skills required for telling time.
11. Give practice in telling time by using apps programs that give instant feedback to the learner.
12. Praise the learner for telling time correctly: (a) give the learner a concrete reward (e.g., classroom privileges, line leading, five minutes free time, passing out learning materials, etc.) or (b) give the learner an informal reward (e.g., praise, handshake, smile, etc.).
13. Consider using Alexa for the Math Classroom.
14. Try gamifying your math lessons.
15. Consider using one of the apps and tools from our many math app lists:
9 Must-Have Apps and Tools for Kids Who Hate Math
10 Apps to Teach Preschoolers Math
20 Math Apps for Students of All Ages
Advanced Math Apps, Tools, and Resources for That We Love
Elementary School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Fraction Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
High School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Interactive Math for the Google Classroom
Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That I Would Use If I Were Still in the Classroom
Math Manipulatives Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Middle School Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
Multiplication Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
PreK Math Apps, Tools, and Resources That We Love
YouTube Channels for the Math Classroom