How to Become an Education Administrator in Nevada
Learn how to become an Education Administrator or School Principal in Nevada.
The Nevada Department of Education offers an Education Administrator endorsement to qualified applicants who already hold a Nevada teaching license and wish to become elementary or secondary school principals, vice-school principals, superintendents, associate superintendents, or assistant superintendents.
To obtain an Education Administrator endorsement, you must have at least a master’s degree and successfully complete an educational leadership/educational administration program for grades K-12. Among your classes:
- 24 semester hours must be at the graduate school level and be focused on school administration
- 12 semester hours must be at the graduate school level and consist of general administrative classes for educators
- Passed the Praxis I Basic Skills Exam plus the Principles of Learning and Teaching Exam
- Most institution programs in school administration require you to pass the Praxis II Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision exam
Classroom Teaching Experience Requirements
- You must possess a Nevada teaching license and have at least 3 years of teaching experience
- You must successfully complete a practicum or field experience in a school administration program
Documents and Application Requirements
Once you have satisfied the above obligations, fill out the Application for Additional Endorsement. Along with the application, send:
- Official transcripts documenting possession of at least a master’s degree and successful completion of a program in educational administration
- A copy of your Nevada teaching license
- Authentication of 3 years of teaching experience
- Application fee
Mail all of the above to 1 of the Licensure Offices of the Nevada Department of Education: Northern Office, 700 East Fifth St., Suite 105, Carson City, NV 89701-5096; or Southern Office, 9890 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 231, Room 23405, Las Vegas, NV 89183.
Background Check Requirements
Before you acquire your education administrator license, you must undergo a criminal history background check.
Contact an accredited institution to find out additional info about their educational leadership/administration programs.
Call the Licensure Office at 702-486-6458 for additional info on education administrator endorsements.