The Top 14 Figures of Speech
A figure of speech is a rhetorical device that accomplishes a unique effect by utilizing words distinctively. Although there are hundreds of figures of speech, here we’ll focus on 14 top examples.
- She sells seashells.
- “I came, I saw, I conquered.”
- A – “For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore.” – “The Raven,” Edgar Allan Poe
- A little thin on top
- I’ve told you to stop a thousand times.
- “How nice!” she said when I told her I had to work all weekend.
- heart of stone
- peace force
- The flowers nodded.
- as slippery as an eel
- wheels can represent a car
- It’s just a scratch. (referring to a large dent)
Idiomatic Figures of Speech
- I’m as mad as a wet hen! (I’m extremely angry.)