How to Renew or Reinstate a Teachers License in Maryland
Maryland Renewal of Teaching Certification
To keep your Maryland teaching licensure current, you have to meet Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Continuing PD (CPD) conditions. This will require you to create an individualized PD plan. You have to complete 6 hours of CPD every 5 years to renew your teaching license. School systems will offer CPD courses to teachers through their CPD liaison.
You will be given a renewal month, either January or July. Your teaching license would then be renewed in January or July of every fifth year. Administrative renewal fees are $10.
All Maryland teachers have to fulfill the MSDE Reading requirement to keep their licensure good. This is a one-time requirement for all Maryland teachers.
- Early childhood and elementary teachers have to complete 12 hours in reading coursework
- Middle and high school teachers have to complete 6 hours in reading coursework
- Courses can be taken at MDSE-sanctioned two- and 4-year institution
If you work for a Maryland school district, they will handle the teacher licensure renewal process. If you are not working for a school district in Maryland but wish to renew your Maryland teaching licensure, send the following to Maryland State Department of Education, Certification Branch, 200 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore, MD 21201:
- Cover letter
- Official, sealed transcripts showing 6 institution credits or MSDE CPD credits obtained within the past 5 years, as well as confirm that you’ve satisfied the reading requirement
- $10 check or money order payable to MSDE
The Certification Branch will process your renewal request and mail your renewed license to your address.
Teaching Certification Reinstatement
If you possess a Maryland teaching license that is no longer good and requests to have it reinstated, send the following to MSDE at the address above:
- Cover letter
- Photocopy of your last good teaching license (if available)
- Official unopened transcript(s) showing completion of 6 institution credits or MSDE CPD credits obtained within the past 5 years
- Reading requirement credits have to be satisfied if not already met
If all of the conditions for reinstatement are satisfied, MSDE will notify you via email. Any additional requirement that needs to be met for reinstatement to occur will be sent to you in an evaluation.