How to Become an Education Administrator in New Mexico
Learn how to become an Education Administrator or School Principal in New Mexico.
The Professional Licensure Bureau of the New Mexico Public Education Department issues licenses in Education Administration Pre K-12 to qualified applicants.
You must meet the following education obligations:
- Possess both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from regionally accredited institutions
- Finish at least 18 semester hours of graduate credit in an Educational Administration program
Pass the New Mexico Educator Assessment Content Knowledge Assessment in Educational Administration.
Classroom Teaching Experience Requirements
As part of your Educational Administration college program, you must successfully complete an administrative practicum/apprenticeship; or you may successfully complete such a practicum under the supervision of a local school superintendent. This practicum must be at least 180 clock hours in duration. You must also hold a Level 3A New Mexico teaching license and have at least 1 full year of teaching experience under that license.
Documents and Application Requirements
When you have fulfilled all the educational, experience and assessment obligations, you may apply for a license in Education Administration Pre K-12.
- Utilize the Application for Initial New Mexico Licensure
- Attach the correct processing fee via check or money order payable to the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED)
- Include official college transcripts showing conference of degrees and successful completion of necessary programs
- Include completed fingerprint background check packet and fee (see below)
- Include copies of your NM teaching license
- Include authentication of employment
Mail the above materials to the New Mexico Public Education Department, Professional Licensure Bureau, 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501-2786.
Background Check Requirements
For info on administrative licensure in New Mexico, contact the Professional Licensure Bureau of the New Mexico Public Education Department at 505-827-5821.