Ambivalent Attachment Style: 15 Signs, Causes & How It Affects Relationships
Attachment theory is a theory about how humans develop relationships. It suggests that humans have two styles of attachment: secure and insecure. People with an insecure attachment style are more likely to experience anxiety and stress in their relationships. They are also more likely to have problems in their relationships because they are often unable to trust others.
There are many signs that someone may have an insecure attachment style. Some of the most common signs include:
– Feeling afraid or panicky when separation from the attachment figure is anticipated
– Feeling like you need to be constantly close to the attachment figure
– Feeling like you are always responsible for the attachment figure’s well-being
– Experiencing strong negative emotions when the attachment figure is away
– Having trouble trusting others
The causes of an insecure attachment style are still unclear, but some researchers believe that it may be caused by experiences during development. Some of the things that may contribute to an insecure attachment style include:
– Growing up in a family where the parents were not very emotionally available
– Having a difficult or unstable childhood
– Having been maltreated or abused
– Having low self-esteem
– Having a difficult temperament
An insecure attachment style can have a huge impact on relationships. People with an insecure attachment style often struggle to trust others. This is because they are often afraid that the attachment figure will leave them. As a result, they are often reluctant to open up to their partners. They also struggle to form close attachments because they are always worried about how the attachment figure will react. Insecure attachment styles can also lead to problems in sexual relationships. People with an insecure attachment style are often afraid of being rejected. This can lead to problems in the bedroom as they are often unwilling to let their partners get close to them.
If you are noticing any of the signs listed above in your relationship, it is important to talk to your partner. Discussing the issue openly can help to resolve the problem. If the problem is not resolved, then it may be time to seek professional help. There are many resources available to help people with insecure attachment styles.