2023 Best Bachelor’s in Graphic Design Programs
Click here to learn more about the ranking methodology that we used to compile this list.
Congratulations! If you represent a college or university that is included in this list, please collect your seal below.
Over the last 2 decades, the field of graphic design has absolutely skyrocketed in the United States. Because of this, high school students everywhere see it as a way to express their creative talents and make a great living at the same time. The hardest part is choosing the right college to attend, as all graphic design programs are not equal. You are in luck, as we have already done the legwork for you. In this piece, we will list and discuss 2022’s best bachelors in graphic design programs.
- Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)— Dubbed the Harvard of art schools, you can’t go wrong by enrolling in RISD’s graphic design program. You can expect to be instructed by expert faculty members at the top of their games. You won’t be shocked to learn that this school is annually ranked as one of the best of the best. It is very selective, so make sure your application is well developed. When you graduate with your BFA, you will be ready to take on the art world.
- Parsons School of Design(The New School) — Another school with a lot of name recognition, tons of awards, and top-notch faculty. In fact, in 2019, Parsons was named the best design school in America by QS World University Rankings and is ranked as the third-best in the world. The university’s four-year BFA program in Communication Design has produced an impressive number of successful graduates.
- The Pratt Institute— Located in the heart of Brooklyn, NY, this prestigious school has invested in the concept of poetic pragmatism, in which vision is coupled with practical skills. The Pratt Institute has a BFA in Communications Design—a program that centers on advertising, illustration, and graphic design.
- ArtCenter College of Design— Its bachelor’s program in graphic design provides students with training in both traditional and modern media, which allows its graduates to become well-rounded graphic designers. This school urges its students to be socially conscious as well as experimental. If you are looking for an immediate return on your investment, this is the place to be.
- Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA)— Located in the heart of urban Baltimore, Maryland, MICA has a BFA in Graphic Design that allows students to develop their creativity. Attending this school is a no brainer for free thinkers, who are looking for an environment that will give them the freedom to express their art in a variety of ways.
- California Institute of the Arts (CalArts)— Who wouldn’t want to attend school in sunny California? This art institute is owned and operated by the Disney Corporation and is a space where students from a variety of artistic areas can thrive. Their BFA is highly selective, only admitting 12-20 new students each year. Many of its graduates end up working for film, television, and major tech companies.
- Carnegie Mellon School of Design— If you know anything about the elite, research-focused universities, then you know that Carnegie Mellon is at the top of the list. But don’t let that scare you away. Their BDes or Bachelor of Design program is one of the best in the country, and its alumni praise its integration of artistic points of design with advanced technologies.
- School of Visual Arts— This school offers a BFA in Graphic Design that boasts lots of networking opportunities. It has a comprehensive internship program, and many of its students land jobs with industry giants. If you are looking to land a job fresh out of college, then this might be the place for you. However, if you are interested in the practice of design on an artistic level, then this might not be the right choice for you.
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD)— At 11,000 students, SCAD’s enrollment is large for an art school. You can get a BA in Visual Communication or a BFA in Graphic Design, so you have a lot of options. Most of the faculty have lots of practical experience and understand what it takes to make it in the art world.
- Virginia Commonwealth University— VCU is located in Richmond, the place that I call home. Its BFA in graphic design is highly rated and is considered the best of the best. If you attend its program, expect to be inspired by a diverse student body, motivated to succeed. Also, you will be provided with the resources and supports that you need to compete with the best artists in the world.