2020 Best Catholic Colleges and Universities in America
Catholicism is one of the most popular sects of Christianity, and it has been that way for over a millennia. This is undoubtedly the case in the U.S., as millions of people are active practitioners of the faith. If you are a high school student who happens to be Catholic, you may be thinking of attending a Catholic university. With so many to choose from, how do you decide with one is right for you? No worries, we have you covered. In this piece, we list and discuss the best Catholic universities in America.
- The University of Notre Dame – is a private Catholic school just 100 miles away from Chicago. A strong athletic program (especially football!) are among the many things that make students’ experience here exceptional.
- Gonzaga University – At #4 among universities in the Western region, Gonzaga is also third place nationwide in undergraduate teaching. The university has a prominent school of law and is known for its legal writing program. This Roman Catholic school accepts students of all faiths
- Xavier University of Louisiana – Ranked in the top 25 among regional schools in the South, Xavier is affiliated with the Roman Catholic church, and the school teaches service and leadership in addition to academics. The focus here is on providing minority students an education that surpasses programs at other schools. With a very selective admission process, this southern school is the only Catholic HBCU. The school’s Pharmacy program consistently ranks in the top in the nation, and Xavier is considered a strong choice for students preparing for medical school.
- Saint Mary’s College – This private, Catholic women’s college is known for a strong sense of community and a welcoming, friendly atmosphere. The supportive environment is ideal for helping young women find their unique voice in the world.
- University of Portland – Also ranked #6, but among western universities in the United States, this school is a private, Catholic institution of higher learning. The University of Portland offers 40 majors and is considered a best-value choice. The college also has a recognized engineering program and business program (The Pamplin School of Business) and has sixteen study abroad programs.
- Mount St. Mary’s University – This is a Catholic school that requires students to learn Catholic theology, liberal arts, and ethics, as well as a few other disciplines. Students are encouraged to become problem-solvers and leaders in their chosen fields. This school is considered a best-value college as well as the best university for veterans.
- DePaul University – Small class sizes and friendly, supportive students and staff set this small Catholic university apart. Communications and liberal arts are the most popular majors.
- Loyola University Chicago – has been ranked as one of the top Catholic universities in the nation. It is best known for its business school and its liberal arts program.
- University of Dayton – This private, Catholic school offers students more than 80-degree programs and 200+ organizations to become involved in. The University of Dayton is considered a best-value choice, and has earned excellent ratings in business and engineering.
- University of Detroit Mercy – In addition to providing a rigorous academic program, this private Catholic school encourages students to participate in community service opportunities. The university is an excellent choice for veterans, and it’s also considered a best-value school.
- Benedictine College – This private Catholic school hand-picks their admitted students, and getting in is not easy. Students are encouraged to study abroad through the university, and options include programs in Italy and Ireland at sister campuses.
- Loras College – This small Catholic college stands out for its welcoming, supportive atmosphere. School spirit runs strong here, and professors are dedicated and helpful. It is also noted for maximum affordability and an excellent business program.
Click here to learn more about the ranking methodology that we used to compile this list.
Congratulations! If you represent a college or university that is included in this list, please collect your seal below.