How to Implement the Vocabulary Knowledge Rating Scale Teaching Strategy in Your Classroom
This strategy allows learners to pre-assess their knowledge of essential vocabulary they will encounter in the content. Learners rate each word from 1 to 4: (1) never seen/heard, (2) have seen/heard, (3) can define word, or (4) can use/teach the word.
- Introduce word meanings
- Review word meanings
- Provide learners with a list of essential vocabulary words that they will come across in the content, usually no more than 12 words.
- Read the words to learners, asking them to echo the words after you. When learners are familiar with the pronunciation of a word, they are more likely to use it in their discussions.
- Read each word in a sentence for the learners to hear it again to understand the parts of speech, but do not give the definition.
- Learners write the word on the Knowledge Rating Scalegraphic organizer (Click here to access all of our graphic organizer forms) and rate their level of understanding on a scale of 1 to 4.
- With a partner, learners look up the definitions in at least two sources (e.g., online or paper dictionary, glossary, thesaurus).
- Working together, both learners agree on the best definition, utilizing the context and the definitions from the previous step.
- Next, they then record the definition, along with a synonym, on the graphic organizer.
- As learners read the content, encourage them to look back at their definitions to help comprehend the content.
- Once learners have read the content, they should review their scores for each word on the Vocabulary Knowledge Rating Scalegraphic organizer and fill in the “after instruction” portion utilizing the same scale as they used the first time.
- If learners are at a 3 or 4, the instructor may ask the student to use the word in a sentence.
- Using the word in a sentence allows learners will show what they have learned, assessing their growth by giving a thumbs-up if their score increased, a thumbs-down if it decreased, and a flat hand to show no change.