24 Debate Topics for Kids of All Ages
Are you looking for debate topics for kids of all ages? If so, you have come to the right place. In this article we’ll list some debate topics for elementary, middle, and high school age students.
Elementary School Topics of Debate
When entering a debate, educators need to consider their students’ education level and pick a topic relevant to their needs and level. When it comes to elementary school topics of debate, remember that students at this level are not mature or experienced enough to handle complex issues, so choosing more straightforward debate topics will be more effective.
Elementary school learners will also likely lack the required skills and knowledge to do any meaningful research, which is why educators should pick topics that are not difficult to study. The best topics for elementary-level debates are easy to understand, and that will keep learners engaged.
Here are a few:
- Should elementary students be allowed to bring as many toys to school as they want?
- Should your class go on a field trip every year?
- Should students watch cartoons during study hours?
- Should each student be allowed to bring their pet to school?
- Should you be allowed to wear anything to school?
- Do kids need recess time everyday?
- Are aliens real or fake?
- Should children be allowed to participate in beauty pageants?
Middle School Topics of Debate
At this level, topics can be more complex to stimulate the students’ critical thinking and analytical skills. You can choose more controversial topics at this level, though topics should still not require too much from the students.
However, they must have enough information to cause students to think and develop their own individual position on the subject. Here are some ideas:
- Books or movies: which is better for education?
- Do gadgets in class help or harm the educational process?
- Do we need fewer or more seasonal holidays?
- Is sporting at school beneficial?
- How can teachers keep students engaged in the classroom?
- Should tracking devices be allowed on student ID cards?
- Is a public or private school education better than homeschooling?
- Does this generation have enough role models?
High School Topics of Debate
In high school, debates are fantastic tools for getting learners involved in class and gaining new skills and knowledge that will benefit their future education and life. High school debate topics can be even more complex and controversial.
Here are some examples:
- Peer pressure and its dangers in school
- Is sex education useful at school?
- Should final exams be canceled? Why?
- How can bullying be stopped at school?
- Are GPAs an outdated method of evaluating student knowledge?
- Will AI replace teachers?
- Is animal testing humane?
- Should we allow cell phones in classrooms?