The Rookie Survival Kit: What to Buy for Your First Classroom
Starting a new job as a teacher can be exciting and intimidating, especially when setting up your classroom. Knowing where to start cannot be easy with so many supplies and resources. That’s why having a well-stocked “rookie survival kit” is essential to help you get started on the right foot. Here are some of the essential items that every new teacher should consider buying for their first classroom:
• Organizational Tools: To keep your classroom organized, consider buying a set of file folders, a label maker, and various-sized containers to store supplies. A good-quality bulletin board and a set of push pins are also essential.
• Classroom Decorations: A well-decorated classroom can create a welcoming and inviting student environment. Consider buying posters, bulletin board borders, and student work display materials to help brighten your room.
• Teaching Aids: Some essential teaching aids for any classroom include a whiteboard, markers, and dry-erase boards for student use. Other useful items include a laminator, a paper cutter, and a hole punch.
• Student Supplies: To ensure that your students have everything they need to succeed, consider buying a set of textbooks, notebooks, pens, and pencils for each student. A set of highlighters and a collection of educational games and puzzles can also be helpful.
• Teacher Resources: As a new teacher, you’ll need various resources to help you succeed, including lesson plan books, grade books, and a professional development library. Consider joining a teacher’s association or online community to stay connected and up-to-date with the latest teaching trends and best practices.
• Personal Care Items: Finally, don’t forget to care for yourself! Consider buying a comfortable chair, a desk lamp, and a collection of snacks to help you stay energized and focused throughout the day. A good-quality water bottle, headphones, and a stress ball can also come in handy during long days in the classroom.
In conclusion, starting your first teaching job can be exciting and overwhelming, especially when setting up your classroom. However, by stocking up on the essentials. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or just starting, these supplies will help you get off to a great start and set you up for success in the classroom.