Qualities of an Effective Online Course
- Appropriate Level of Challenge: The challenge in an online course should be appropriate for the learners’ level of experience and expertise. Too many challenges can be frustrating and discourage learners from continuing the course. Too little challenge can leave learners feeling lost and without any sense of progress.
- Clear and Concise Instruction: Instructors should be clear and concise in their instructions and provide enough detail so learners can understand the material.
- Effective Feedback and Evaluation: Feedback and evaluation should be effective and tailored to help learners improve their skills. Feedback should be timely, relevant, and encouraging, and evaluation should provide feedback on individual student progress rather than group performance.
- Clear and Consistent Structure: The structure of an online course should be clear and consistent from one lesson to the next.
- Flexible Format: The format of an online course should be flexible so that it can be adapted to meet the needs of the learners.
- Multiple Modalities: An online course should include multiple modalities, such as video, audio, and interactivity.
- Appropriate Tools and Resources: Tools and resources should be appropriate and helpful for the learners and should not be too difficult to use.
- Close coupling between Learning and Action: The learning and action portions of an online course should be closely coupled so that learners can see the impact of their actions on their learning.
- Engagement and Participation: Learners should be engaged and participatory in the online course and feel like they are part of the learning process.