How to Overcome Test Anxiety
Test anxiety is a common fear that most students experience at some point in their academic careers. It can be a major obstacle to success. Fortunately, there are many ways to overcome test anxiety. Here are five tips:
- Make a study plan: When you know what you’re going to be studying, you can relax and focus on the task at hand. Preparing a study plan will help you stay organized and minimize distractions.
- Get organized: Having a study area set up and organized will help you avoid distractions and manage your time more effectively. Have a place for your materials and a place to sit.
- Take breaks: Studies show that short breaks can help you avoid becoming too focused on the task. Take a five-minute break every hour and then return to the task with renewed energy.
- Avoid caffeine and sugar: Caffeine and sugar can increase anxiety levels. Avoid these substances before taking tests, and try to refrain from eating them during the test.
- Talk to a professor/guardian: Some students find relief from talking to a professor/guardian about test anxiety. Ask them for advice on how to overcome test anxiety.
Finally, remember that test anxiety is a temporary fear. It will pass, and you will be able to overcome it.