How to Become an Esthetician in 5 Steps
For those who are interested in a career in beauty, becoming an esthetician is a great choice. Estheticians are professionals who provide skin care treatments, such as facials, waxing, and makeup application. If you’re looking to pursue a career in this field, here are five steps to becoming an esthetician.
1. Get the Necessary Education and Training. Before becoming an esthetician, it’s important to get the right education and training. Most states require that estheticians obtain a license to practice. To get a license, you must complete a training program, typically lasting between 600 and 1,000 hours. These programs can be found at beauty schools, community colleges, and vocational schools.
2. Get Licensed. Once you’ve completed your training program, you must pass a state exam in order to obtain a license. Each state has different requirements for licensing, so it’s important to research the specifics for your particular state.
3. Find an Apprenticeship. Apprenticeships are a great way to get hands-on experience in the field. Apprenticeships typically last between 6 and 12 months and involve working with an experienced esthetician. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the profession and gain valuable experience.
4. Earn Certification. Earning certification is a great way to demonstrate your expertise and make yourself more marketable. The National Coalition of Estheticians offers certification in makeup and skin care. You must pass an exam in order to receive certification.
5. Look for Work. Once you’ve completed your training, obtained a license, and earned certification, it’s time to start looking for work. Estheticians typically work in spas, beauty salons, and dermatology offices. You can also look for freelance work in the entertainment and fashion industries.
Becoming an esthetician requires a commitment of time and energy, but the rewards of a career in beauty can be well worth the effort. With the right education, training, and certification, you can start a successful career as an esthetician.