Comprehension: Activities for Your First Grader
In order to help your first grader improve his or her comprehension skills, try some of these activities.
1. Have your child read aloud from a text or story. This will help the child become more familiar with reading aloud, and it will also help improve his or her comprehension skills.
2. Have your child take a quiz on a topic that he or she is struggling with. This will help improve his or her knowledge and understanding of the topic.
3. Have your child complete a worksheet or chart that asks him or her to decode a sentence or paragraph. This will help him or her understand the meaning of the text.
4. Have your child listen to a podcast or audio book that is related to the topic being studied. This will help him or her better understand the topic.
5. Have your child write a summary of a story or text. This will help him or her understand the main points of the story.