2022 Best Southwestern Colleges and Universities
When most people think of the Southwest, they think of Texas and a bunch of miscellaneous states that they can’t recall. However, looks can be deceiving. For instance, without the cultural and historical contributions of this area, the United States would not be what it is today. Also, the colleges and universities in the southwest are home to some of the most innovative and groundbreaking professors in the world. These schools deserve to be praised for creating learning environments that are conducive to research and scholarship. In this piece, we will discuss the best colleges and universities that the southwestern area of the United States has to offer.
- Rice University — Located in downtown Houston between eccentric neighborhoods and the medical district, Rice house eight schools and colleges, each devoted to academic rigor. The schools of architecture, music, business, and engineering are highly respected.
- University of Texas – Austin – This campus is in the heart of the state’s capital, where music and technology merge to create a vibrant scene. UTA, as it is known, has 18 colleges within the system, and the school is known for business, nursing, and engineering. Students can choose from more than 900 clubs and organizations to round out their college experiences.
- Texas A&M University – College Station – Formerly known as Texas Agricultural & Mechanical College, this school educates over 60,000 students in College Station. A&M is a public research school known for its veterinary medicine, but it also has highly respected programs in business, education, and engineering. T
- Baylor University – Students at Baylor are active volunteers in their communities, and this faith-based campus is a research university. Baylor is an excellent choice for veterans, and it’s also considered a best-value school.
- Arizona State University, Phoenix – This school offers more than 100 degrees and professional certification programs of study. You’ll find students from all 50 states and 100 countries around the world, and the student population has a 1:1 female-male ratio. It’s also a great school for veterans.
- University of Oklahoma -. It is a public research school that describes itself as “a major university experience in a private college atmosphere.” Most notably, this university caps its freshman English classes at nineteen students, which was a first among large schools. OU is a member of the Big 12 conference in collegiate sports.
- Southern Methodist University — This university offers a secular liberal arts education. There are seven colleges on campus, most notably business and education. The university also has a prestigious lecture program. SMU is veteran-friendly and is considered a best-value school.
- St. John’s College – This school is one of the best liberal arts schools in the nation, and the curriculum focuses on the great literature of the past. Almost 100% of the classes here have fewer than 20 students. This college has graduated some remarkable alumni such as Francis Scott Key and is considered a best-value school.
- Southwestern Christian University – This school embraces the motto “scholarship, spirit, service” in everything it does. The small school offers traditional programs of study as well as adult and online courses.
- Oklahoma City University – A private school, Oklahoma City University offers students a liberal arts curriculum steep in Methodist traditions. Two universities in Oklahoma, one private and one public, rank in the top 100 universities in the nation: the University of Tulsa and the University of Oklahoma.
- New Mexico State University – This is a top-tier school known for business, education, and engineering, but one of the most popular majors here is criminal justice. New Mexico State is in the top 200 of national universities and is also a top public school. Some of the colleges and universities in New Mexico are not ranked, but they merit looking at.
- University of Tulsa – The University of Tulsa has a recognized petroleum engineering and natural sciences college, as well as four other colleges. The school also offers robust academic and co-curricular programs. The school is also considered culturally diverse, veteran-friendly and a best-value choice.
- Arizona Christian University – Ranked as one of the top regional west colleges, this accredited school integrates faith, fellowship and Christian service in a liberal arts program of study.
- Prescott College – If you prefer tiny classes in a small, liberal arts environment, look to Prescott College, where you’ll learn how to create life balance while learning and serving others. The student-faculty ratio is 9:1. Female students make up 60% of the student population,
- Northern Arizona University – With its main campus located in Flagstaff, this school challenges students to be creative and innovative in their studies, community service and approach to problem-solving. The school ranks among the top of Tier 2 colleges.
Click here to learn more about the ranking methodology that we used to compile this list.
Congratulations! If you represent a college or university that is included in this list, please collect your seal below.