2020 Best Colleges and Universities in Illinois
There’s something for everyone when it comes to colleges and universities in Illinois. Whether you want a big research institution or a small liberal-arts college, a rural campus or all the bustle of metropolitan Chicago, you will find exactly what you want in this diverse state.
Here are the top ten colleges and universities in Illinois in 2020.
- The University of Chicago offers the best of both worlds, with a vibrant campus life as well as big-city atmosphere right in the prestigious Hyde Park neighborhood. Known for its rigorous academics, the university boasts 70 majors and several renowned post-graduate programs.
- Northwestern University is best known for its music, performing arts, and communications programs. Between challenging academics and a busy social scene, students are fully occupied. Frequent plays, concerts, and social gatherings enliven a highly collaborative academic atmosphere.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. With 17 different schools and colleges and over 1000 students organizations, any student can find a niche at this large urban university. It is particularly well-known for its programs in engineering, library science, and psychology.
- Illinois Institute of Technology. This private school in Chicago is known for its hands-on learning opportunities in engineering and applied technology. Students have access to the latest tools and equipment to support student research and exploration.
- DePaul University. Small class sizes and friendly, supportive students and staff set this small Catholic university apart. Communications and liberal arts are the most popular majors.
- Loyola University Chicago has been ranked as one of the top Catholic universities in the nation. It is best known for its business school and its liberal arts program.
- Augustana College has a beautiful wooded campus in Rock Island, Illinois just across the Mississippi River from the Iowa border. It boasts an optimum location for internships and research opportunities.
- Illinois Wesleyan University has one of the best freshman retention rates in the nation thanks to a commitment to personal attention to students. It is known for its unique “Play Term,” offering month-long experiential learning opportunities.
- Illinois College. This private, rural college prides itself on community service, individual attention, and academic rigor. The most popular majors are Biomedical Sciences and Business Management.
- Wheaton College – Illinois. With a curriculum and mission that clearly reflect conservative Christian values, this school is also very accepting of students of different beliefs. The population is diverse, and teachers and students demonstrate warmth and friendliness.
No matter what kind of student you are, you will find the tools you need to succeed at these excellent Illinois colleges and universities.
Click here to learn more about the ranking methodology that we used to compile this list.
Congratulations! If you represent a college or university that is included in this list, please collect your seal below.