17 Cooking Activities To Teach Middle Schoolers How To Cook
Cooking is a life skill that everyone should learn, and it’s never too early to start teaching your children how to cook. Middle school is a perfect age to begin teaching children how to cook, as they are old enough to follow instructions and understand safety procedures but still curious and excited about new challenges. Here are 17 cooking activities to teach middle schoolers how to cook.
1. Start with safety first. Teach children the proper techniques and safety procedures, such as washing hands, using a sharp knife correctly, and handling hot items.
2. Make Homemade Pizza. This activity will teach children how to work with dough and let them get creative using their favorite toppings.
3. Make Pancakes. Teach students how to make different types of pancakes: savory, sweet, and traditional.
4. Baking cookies. Teach children how to make their favorite cookies to share with friends and family.
5. Make fruit salad. This activity will teach children how to slice fruit and mix ingredients to make a delicious treat.
6. Stir-Fry Meal. Teach children how to prepare and cook a stir-fry meal using fresh vegetables, noodles, and protein.
7. Spaghetti and Meatballs. This activity will teach children how to cook pasta, make meatballs, and create a flavorful sauce.
8. Grilled Cheese. Children love grilled cheese sandwiches, and it is easy to make. Teach children how to make a nutritious and delicious sandwich from scratch.
9. Rice Pudding. This delicious dessert requires children to measure, add ingredients, and cook rice into a sweet treat.
10. Omelets. Teach children how to create the perfect omelet with their favorite ingredients.
11. Veggie wrap. This healthy wrap is a fun way to teach children how to make a tasty, nutritious meal.
12. Quesadillas. Children will love learning how to make cheesy quesadillas, and they can add their favorite ingredients for a personalized touch.
13. Smoothies. Teach children how to make a healthy and delicious smoothie with fresh ingredients.
14. Chicken Fajitas. Teach children how to marinate and cook chicken and create flavorful fajitas with vegetables.
15. Lasagna. This classic Italian meal will teach children how to layer ingredients and cook pasta for a delicious homemade meal.
16. Baked Mac and Cheese. Teach children a classic comfort food recipe and how to make a roux and create a cheese sauce.
17. Sheet Pan Dinner. This activity will teach children how to cook and mix up flavors of vegetables, protein, and carbs on a sheet pan for a simple and quick meal.
In conclusion, cooking is a valuable skill that middle schoolers can learn and master with the right guidance. These seventeen cooking activities for middle schoolers will teach children useful skills and allow them to gain confidence in the kitchen. Cooking also provides children with knowledge about healthy and fresh ingredients, exciting flavor combinations, and how to prepare meals that will nourish them for the rest of their lives.