16 Reasons Why Students Should Study Abroad
In recent years, institutions of higher learning all over the globe have been ramping up their study abroad programs, as the number of students who are interested in this experience has skyrocketed over the years. Nowadays, studying abroad may seem like a rite of passage, but many are still hesitant to try. If you are still debating the benefits or viability of studying abroad, check out our list of the 16 reasons why you should.
- The vast majority of those who study abroad describe it as one of the best periods of their lives.
- It gives you the opportunity to study subjects or hear perspectives that you do not experience in the United States.
- It gives you the chance to hone your foreign language skills, while also being immersed in the local culture. It makes it easier to learn a language.
- It gives you the opportunity to be exposed to new cultures, which will serve you well in your future endeavors.
- It forces you to become self-sufficient and independent.
- Allows you to mature at a faster rate.
- Allows you to build an international network, which you can lean on for the rest of your life.
- Employers will be impressed by your study abroad experience, as many students don’t have this experience.
- May help you decide your future career path.
- It will look fantastic on your resume.
- You can earn extra money while studying abroad, by teaching English in your free time.
- Earn extra cash as translator or interpreter once you come back to the states.
- It gives you an opportunity to see the world and experience things that you never dreamed.
- Traveling will build your confidence and self-esteem, by showing you that you can tackle any challenge that comes your way. Why, because being away from the comfort of your support system is scary. Overcoming that is powerful.
- It can be very cost-effective and may end up being cheaper than living in the U.S. Universities often have an entire department that is dedicated to helping students plan and execute their study abroad plans. Many also provide financial support.
- It can help you acquire new skills. For instance, if you are a sports fan, while studying abroad in the UK, you may become a skilled cricket player.
Can you think of any additional reasons why students should travel abroad?