15 Strategies to Help Students Who Have Trouble Spelling Words That Do Not Conform to Spelling Rules
Are you looking for strategies to help students who have trouble spelling words that do not conform ot spelling rules? If so, keep reading.
1. Provide the student with an app that provides the instruction on and practice on the art of spelling.
2. Create a list of regularly seen words that do not follow spelling rules for the learner to keep at their desk.
3. Get the learner to find a list of words (e.g., 5, 10, or 15 words) each week that they want to learn to spell. These words become the learner’s spelling words for the week.
4. Make sure the learner has sufficient time to finish written tasks so that they will be more likely to spell words correctly.
5. Teach the learner the sounds that letters and letter combinations make. Get the learner to practice making letter sounds as they see the letters on flash cards.
6. Give the learner a spelling list of words they use that do not follow the spelling rules. Add new words to the list as the learner shows mastery of any of the words.
7. Acknowledge quality work (e.g., display the learner’s work, congratulate the learner, etc.).
8. Daily, examine those spelling words that have been previously introduced.
9. Praise the learner for spelling words that do not follow spelling rules: (a) give the learner a concrete reward (e.g., privileges such as leading the line, handing out learning materials, 10 minutes of free time, etc.) or (b) give the learner an informal reward (e.g., praise, handshake, smile, etc.).
10. Make the learner use the dictionary to find the correct spelling of any words they cannot spell correctly. Place emphasis on spelling accurately.
11. Make sure the learner hears the sounds in words misspelled. Get the learner to say the words aloud to ascertain if the learner is aware of the letters or sound units in words.
13. Make sure the learner does not have too many words to learn to spell at one time.
15. Consider using one of the tools from of spelling apps list.